Classic Match: Blues 7 Blackpool 1

Last updated : 23 October 2008 By Brian Cartlidge
Re-writing the record books was commonplace for Blues during the 1994-95 season and this win on New Years Eve was their best in any competition for more than 35 years, since their away performance at Nottingham Forest in the old First Division in 1959 when they had an identical scoreline.

This was Blues' fourth post-war seven goal haul in a competitive game - falling just two short of of the club record victory of 9-1 against Liverpool in 1954.

Blues though, could have netted double figures against Blackpool, who could have scored four or five goals themselves.

Many sides came to St. Andrew's that season using six or seven men to frustrate and negate Blues. Blackpool had no such intentions and all credit to their manager Sam Allardyce for his positive approach.

Louie Donowa
It was the visitors who stunned the home supporters by taking the lead on eight minutes through Darren Bradshaw.

Blues didn't panic though and urged on by the fans they took the game by the scruff of the neck and tore into Blackpool.

The equaliser came on 12 minutes when the unfortunate Bradshaw put the ball into his own net which brought him the dubious tag of scoring for both sides in the same net - just as Ricky Otto had done a few days earlier on his Blues home debut against Cambridge.

On 25 minutes Louie Donowa raced away down the left, skinning Phil Brown for pace, before cutting inside to place his shot into the top corner of the net, wide of keeper Capleton.

Then on 37 minutes, Steve Claridge brought the ball on to his right foot and buried a sweet drive from all of 30 yards to make it 3-1.

Further chances went begging before Otto delivered the ball from the left for Kenny Lowe to loop a header into the net on 53 minutes to put Blues 4-1 up.

This lead was stretched to 5-1 on 64 minutes when the unmarked Donowa sidefooted home from close range after Lowe's clever back-heel.

Barry Fry
With Blackpool reeling, Blues stormed forward and grabbed a sixth goal on 73 minutes when Claridge chipped the advancing keeper, this time after a back-heeled pass from substitute Steve McGavin.

The final goal came four minutes from time when Blues' other substitute George Parris touched the ball over the line from a yard out after good play down the right.

Blues manager Barry Fry, obviously delighted with the result, said after the game: " We won well, but I was annoyed that we missed so many chances, some of which were far easier than those we tucked away. Still, what a way to end 1994. Now for 1995 and all that goes with it - promotion,Wembley and more goals. Yes, I want Blues to score 100."

Blues: Bennett, Poole, Whyte, Barnett, Daish, Lowe, Cooper, Ward, Donowa, Claridge, Otto. Subs: McGavin, Parris.

Blackpool: Capleton, Brown, Burke, Gouck, Murphy, Bradshaw, Quinn, Mellon, Watson, Ellis, Mitchell.

Referee: J. Rushton (Stoke)

Attendance: 18,025