Blues Reserves 0 Arsenal Reserves 4

Last updated : 05 September 2009 By Brian Cartlidge

Blues had the better of the early exchanges and both Kevin Phillips and Gary McSheffrey came close to giving them the lead at St Andrews on Tuesday night.

However, The Gunners Reserves took the lead 33 minutes into the game courtesy of a Sanchez Watt goal and Craig Eastmond doubled their advantage just five minutes later.

Three minutes later Gilles Sunu netted another goal for Neil Banfield's side who went in at the half time break with a 3-0 lead.

Terry Westley made one change at the start of the second half with Brice Ntambwe replacing Jake Jervis but any hopes of a Blues comeback were dashed just six minutes into the second period when Watt netted his second goal of the night and Arsenal's fourth.

With 65 minutes of the game gone and Blues trailing 4-0 Westley made his second substitution of the night when Jakub Hronec replaced defender Jamie Dunphy whilst Arsenal forward Watt was denied the chance of scoring a hat-trick when he was replaced five minutes later by substitute Luke Freeman.

Ntambwe had a good chance to reduce the deficit moments from the end of the game but his weak header sailed over the Gunners keeper's crossbar.

Final Score: Blues Res 0 Arsenal Res 4

So, a disappointing season's opener for Blues' second string who travel to take on West Ham United Reserves at The Boeyn Ground in their next League game on Tuesday, 8th September.

Blues Res: Colin Doyle, Jamie Dunphy (Jakub Hronec, 65), Mitch Hancox, Keith Fahey, David Joyce, Will Packwood, Jay O'Shea, Ashley Sammons, Kevin Phillips, Jake Jervis (Brice Ntambwe, H/T), Gary McSheffrey. Subs not used: Nathan Redmond, Jack Butland, Josh Hawker.

Arsenal Res: Vito Mannone (James Shea, H/T), Kerrea Gilbert, Gavin Hoyte, Kyle Bartley, Armand Traore, Craig Eastmond, Francis Coquelin, Fran Merida, Mark Randall (Roarie Deacon, 63), Gilles Sunu, Sanchez Watt (Luke Freeman, 70). Subs not used: Cedric Evina, Ignasi Miquel.