Birmingham City 1 Bristol City 0

Last updated : 04 March 2009 By Footymad Previewer

But Queudrue's vital goal did not arrive until the 87th minute after Blues had completely dominated the game.

It was, however, significant that the goal came from a defender after Bristol City had exposed Blues' lack of firepower.

Blues' side, packed with experience, dominated for long spells but, with only one goal from their previous three games, their problems are plainly evident.

Going into the match with only two victories to their credit this year, Blues were fully aware of the need to regain some winning form if they are to figure in the end-of-season promotion battle.

They were, however, thwarted almost at every turn by a confident Bristol City side which had won eight of their previous eleven games.

The confidence generated by such a record was always evident as they survived Blues' onslaughts to produce some threatening attacks themselves late in the game only to fall to Queudrue's late strike.

The story might well have been different as Bristol City were denied a dream start in the second minute when former Blues striker Dele Adebola was sent clear by Michael McIndoe but could only fire wide with Maik Taylor to beat.

It was an expensive miss by the Robins, who were then indebted to Brazilian Adriano Basso for a brilliant save when he kept out a close-range effort from Lee Bowyer.

With both teams obviously intent on trying to gain the upper hand as quickly as possible, the game was fast and open.

Basso, who emerged as Bristol City's top player, had to be alive to another Blues attack when Queudrue fired in a swerving long-range effort which the keeper confidently handled.

Blues continued to bombard Bristol's defence which survived with some dogged defending and no small measure of good fortune.

The danger was that Bristol City posed a problem on their isolated breaks as demonstrated when Cole Skuse found a way through a packed defence only for Taylor to make a smart save.

But it was Basso who continued to take the honours when he dived to his right to keep out an accurate free-kick from the lively Seb Larsson.

Only the woodwork saved Bristol City five minutes into the second half when a Martin Taylor effort hit the crossbar and was hastily cleared by Jamie McAllister.

The longer the game went on, however, the more Blues became frustrated by their inability to break down the opposition defence and substitute Nicky Maynard went close to opening the Robins' account within a minute of him replacing Skuse.

But it was Blues who justifiably ended the game on a high note.

A Bowyer corner on the right found the on-rushing Queudrue to power home a great header into the roof of the net.